Tuesday, March 25, 2008

IMAP for Gmail and Log Me In..

I found these two truly fascinating things over the last two days.

First is this Remote Access and Desktop Control software on logmein. All you have to do is login to this website and download their software and install on your computer. By doing this, you add your computer to the this software. Now, repeat the same on a different machine which is connected to internet. Now go to the second machine and login to logmein using the user name and password with which you registered on the first machine. Keep the softwares running on these two machines. This way, you will be able to remotely control a remote computer connected to the internet. You will do yourself good by following the instructions given on their site. You can in fact run applications, copy files and do a host of other things between the two computers. I found this really exciting. However, I could not play around much with this because of my limited download volume internet connection. Nevertheless, with 2mbps broadband connection, I had a wonderful experience.

Second is another 'WOW' stuff! You can now download all your gmail messages onto your local device like MS Outlook email client on your desktop or some other email client on your mobile phone. All you have to do is enable IMAP in your Gmail account and follow the set of instructions given here to configure your local email client. I did it myself and I can now see all my gmail messages in MS Outlook configured on my desktop. I can access my mails even when I am not connected to internet. Of course I wont be able to receive any new message when offline.

Other than this, I also got BOSE Companion 2 stereo speakers for my laptop. Watching movie at home is an altogether different experience now.

No comments: